Saturday, May 15, 2010

How To Make Buttons Made of Clay & My Latest Projects on the Needles

A few of my fellow crafters have admired my clay buttons and some wanted to know if it is something easily done; so instead of giving my usual written reply, a lightbulb suddenly came on in my head to show how it is done in photos and place them on my Blog....

So here it is! You will have to forgive me. A few of the photos came out a bit fuzzy. For some reason, I cannot always get my digital camera to focus sharply when I need it to, and I did not feel like getting out the instruction manual to figure it out. It's like digging into an encyclopedia.

First, let's look at the basic equipment.....

Here is the clay I use. It is made by Sculpey Bake in the Oven Clay and used to be available at WalMart. It still might be, I haven't checked in a few years. I purchased my 'Starter Pack' from Walmart which included various cakes of clay and two sculpting tools which you will see later. The problem with the Starter Pack is the color range. You only get basic colors. If you like colors with a capital "C" you have to find a store that sells art supplies. I found what I needed at AC Moore. I have to make it clear that Sculpey makes a variety of clays. The larger packs you see above named Studio does not to my knowledge come in a 'variety pack' like the smaller packs of SculpeyIII. If you do a "Google" you can visit the Sculpey website where you can see their entire line of products and they also have creative ideas for you to try as well.
Here is another photo showing the two sculpting tools included with the Starter Pack. I suppose you can purchase these tools separately. I've never noticed because I didn't have a need.
Here's a close-up of the clay tools.

The clay is 'scored' into sections. So here; I have broken off a scored section and I am getting ready to 'work it.' You have to soften the clay and make it malleable. You're pretty much working the clay like you would pie crust, except you won't get your hands all messy and sticky.
Work the clay with your fingers to get it soft and bendable. Only takes about two minutes.

Here is a yellow piece after working it between my fingers, squeezing it flat, folding it over, working it flat again. It just needs to feel your body heat to do this.

Fold the clay over and 'work it'

Fold it over again...


Here is the general shape the clay should take to make your button. It can be larger. It depends upon how much clay you are using. Just make sure it is smooth across the entire surface. You can do this with your fingertips. Make pretend you are shaping dough to make biscuits. The thickness would be about a quarter of an inch. It can be adjustable, depending upon your needs. You will need to experiment the first time to get your fingers and creative juices used to working with the clay. My buttons are chunky. I call them "Freddy Flintstone Buttons."

Put your penny or dime on the clay.


You will need a penny or a dime to use as a guide for the size of the button. Nichels and quarters are just too large unless you are making them as a decorative button for an adult garment.

Just as in biscuit making, after you have rolled out the dough and are ready to use your cutter, place the penny or dime on top of the dough, and use your clay tool (the one with the edge shaped like a knife) to trace around the coin. This will give you a general shape. Use your fingertips to perfect the shape along the rim.

Now you are ready to make the buttonholes.

If you knit or crochet, you will always have a sewing needle for yarn. Get yours out and decide where on the face of the button you would like to make two buttonholes. Stick it in. Push the needle in from front to back until the eye of the needle has travelled out the other end, and while the eye of the needle is making its way through the clay gently twirl the needle around to make sure that once the clay has baked, the hole will be large enough to get that same needle through when you are trying to sew it onto the garment.


It doesn't have to be perfect, just functional. These are for babies. Babies and children like things a little 'odd.' It's more interesting to their psyche (mine too!).

Here are two buttons with holes. The pink shows the 'right' side of the button. The yellow one shows the back of the buttonhole. The back will always have that 'puckered' look. Don't worry about it. It's the back!


I just know someone is going to be curious as to how I mix my colors and come out with those great looking wild buttons; so here it is.

First of all; it you can't find a specific shade or color you need, don't be afraid to mix two or three colors of clay together. It's just like in school when you mixed paints or crayons to get a color: blue and yellow make green, etc.

Just break off the colors of clay and work each color separately to make it flat and soft. Then mix the two together like a pancake and squeeze and bend and roll, then flatten out again. You will see a different color as the two merge together.

You can join two colors together, but not fully merge them. In that case, you get a candy-cane effect like the photo above.

You can take that flat shape and roll it like a Tootsie Roll in the palm of your hand and make a cigar shape as shown above.


Take a flattened sheet of clay the thickness and color of your choice and place the cigar shaped clay as pictured above.


Roll that bad boy like you are making "pigs in a blanket." But make sure there are no air pockets. Roll it tightly. You'll know once you work with it and are able to look at it in person

Here's an example of clay not rolled tightly enough. You can see some air pockets after cutting the clay.


Here is where I merged orange clay around another color.


Here is what it looks like after cutting the clay. You just roll and shape into a jelly-roll shape and cut just like you are making sugar cookies.


A slightly closer view..........

A view of a button next to a penny....



Finally, we are ready to bake these bad boys! You will need a glass pyrex plate as shown above. The shape does not matter, just make sure it is glass. Place the buttons face up in the glass baking dish and make sure they are not touching. They can be closer together than what is shown in the photo above.
Preheat your oven to 275 degrees (American) and bake your buttons for about 20 minutes minimum. Bake longer if they are more than one-quarter inch thick. The instructions on the clay wrapper will give more detailed baking instructions. The important thing is that you not burn the clay. I haven't had such a total disaster, but they will deepen in color if left in the oven too long.

Put the buttons in and bake.


Now! Last but not least, as they say, are two knitting projects I am working on at the present time. Wish me "God-speed" in completing them soon. I'm in one of those moods where "I have to do something" and haven't found the perfect pattern to really excite me, so this is 'a better than nothing' project.


This is a scarf. Not for warmth. This would be more of an early Spring or early Fall scarf. The yarn is mercerized cotton from Elann.com
The Free pattern can be found here:
http://shop.thescarfer.net/blog/?p=82#more-82


This is a baby blanket. I like basketweave, but it can have a boring look about it; therefore, I always stay away from knitting it. This pattern is different as you can see. The edge of the blanket is bordered with a miniature basketweave pattern and gives it just enough 'excitement' to keep me interested, and keeps you on your toes. The free pattern can be found here:
http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=nnp&pageID=194




No comments: